Millette Photomedia presents some very toxic plants.

Réjean Millette August 2th 2018 1761 views

Millette Photomedia presents some very toxic plants.

Millette Photomedia presents some very toxic plants.
Currently, in summer, the gardens are pleasant to visit.
The majority of plants are a sparkle to dream.
Children run everywhere and often intend to taste some plants.
But some plants that adorn can often be very toxic.
Poisoning may be due to contact with the plant or ingestion of a part of the plant. The level of toxicity also varies according to the season and stage of development of the plant. Finally, each person reacts differently because of his sensitivity. One person may have burns after touching nettle, while another person does not realize it.
So you have to be very careful. We must learn to know and recognize the plants that can cause us problems.

Millette Photomedia and its affiliated site Millette Photos of Plants and Flowers makes you know some of the most toxic plants.

Since a few years, we talk a lot about giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) which is an invasive and very toxic exotic plant. It presents a risk to health and the environment. In humans, contact with the sap of giant hogweed causes damage to the skin. An inflammation of giant hogweed is characterized by redness and swelling of the skin or blisters even superficial or more severe burns. The plant can measure from 2 to 5 meters in height. Its leaves can reach 1.5 meters in width and 3 meters in length. The flowers are large white umbels. Giant hogweed is very invasive whereas woolly cork is not.

When we were younger, we were told to pay attention to poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans)
Contact of the skin with the sap of poison ivy can cause a painful allergic reaction. The sap causes a strong skin reaction manifesting itself, among others, by itching, pain or burning, swelling and redness or blisters.
This weed can be difficult to recognize because it comes in different aspects. In general, it is a bushy plant, without thorns, from a height of 20 centimeters to 1 meter. A stem bears three leaves of green color; these can also be red or brown in color and still remain toxic. Even dead, the plant can cause an intense reaction.
The sap of the poison ivy that stays on clothing and tools can be dangerous for a very long time. After handling poison ivy plants, be sure to wash everything that has touched them, including your shoes and laces.

From the beginning of spring, rhubarb (Rheum spp.), an easy-to-grow plant, grows generously in our gardens. This plant is often used in cooking for jams and pies, but is very toxic. The only edible part is its stem (the petiole), and the leaves are removed in all the preparations because the acid they contain can be deadly. Ingestion of the rhubarb leaf can lead to breathing difficulties, burns in the mouth and throat, digestive problems and, in severe cases, convulsions and coma.

The tomato (Solanum lycopersicum)  is a herbaceous plant sensitive to cold generally considered as annual plant and surely present in the majority of our vegetable gardens. This plant is now cultivated by 170 countries around the world. Whether it's leaves, stems or roots, the tomato plant is poisonous! It contains atropine as well as alkaloids, toxic elements. Although it is rare for a person to eat anything other than the tomato itself it is better to be satisfied with the best part: the tomato itself! The fruit itself is not toxic This chemical is known to cause stomach upset and nervousness. This product has a bitter taste and can produce irritation in the mouth and on the tongue. It is, by its volume of production, that it is the first vegetable at the world level, in front of the watermelon and the cabbage.

There are many others that are beautiful, are attractive but you have to be vigilant.



Open an account

Creating an account will enable you to order online and to customize your web experience. Millette Photomedia will never share your data.

Open an account

Forgot your password?

Already a member?